These 6 kindness rocks instructions will help you to create beautiful rocks that will bring a smile to anyone’s face. This project is great for any skill level and can be done individually or as a large group activity.
What are kindness rocks?
With the rock painting craze in high gear, you may be wondering what are kindness rocks anyway?
Kindness rocks is a viral trend where people, paint rocks or stones with inspirational messages or sayings. Then they leave them in public places for people to find. The intention is to spread kindness and love to people around the world.
These painted stones are pretty simple to create and don’t require a lot of instruction. But there are some important kindness rocks rules.
Kindness Rocks Rules
- Make sure that you seal your rocks well. You want them to hold up to the elements until they are found.
- Never glue embellishments to rocks you plan on hiding. While they are beautiful, these additions are terrible for the environment and the animals. No matter how strong you think that glue is, a squirrel is going to be able to pick it off. Stick to paint on any rock you plan on hiding.
- Be kind. These rocks are meant to make people happy, so their phrases should always be positive. Stay clear of negative thoughts, bad language, or anything inappropriate. You never know who is going to find the rocks.
- Place your rocks in open spaces, not in places that will disturb nature or ruin a lawnmower.
Kindness Rocks Instructions
We’ve broken the process down into 6 steps. Use your imagination to create the final product. These steps will just get you through the process.
1. Find the perfect rock.
Starting with the right rock makes all the difference. You want a nice and smooth rock, this will help make writing on the rocks easier. The size of the rock is important too. Think about how much space your message will take and choose a rock that’s big enough for all the words. We have found several specialty rocks that will make perfect kindness rocks.
2. Prep the rocks.
Once you buy your rocks, you want to make sure they are ready to be painted. Washing your rocks makes the paint stick better and removes any debris from the stones. Check out our instructions on preparing rocks for painting.
3. Give your rocks a base coat.
This can be as simple as painting the whole rock with a single color. Or you can make beautifully painted base coats with everything from pour painting to dot painting.
4. Add an inspirational message.
Finding what to write on a kindness rock can a challenge. We are working on creating a kindness rocks sayings list. Until then, check out this fun list of inspirational sayings that may help you decide.
We know that hand lettering can be a challenge. It’s something that a lot of people struggle with. Here are some lettering tips, and practice sheets, that will help with your hand lettering.
5. Seal your rocks.
If you paint rocks for hiding, you need to make sure you have the perfect sealer for painted rocks. This will protect your rocks from the sun and rain and even snow.
6. Hide or give your kindness rocks.
This is the most important step. You can have a bumpy, dirty rock, with a messy word on it. As long as you hand it to someone, and it makes them smile, you have succeeded.
Hiding your rocks in public has some rules, but you don’t have to hide them. Here are some other ways to give kindness rocks:
- Give them to friends and family.
- Place them on a co-worker’s desk.
- Donate them to charities.
- Decorate your home.
- Give them to teachers.
- Give them as party favors.
- Place them in your child’s backpack.
Kindness Rocks Ideas
If you are still feeling like you need some inspiration. Check out our Pinterest board of kindness rocks ideas.
Pin these instructions for how to paint kindness rocks.
Pinning helps us grow! We love creating rock painting inspiration for beginners. Every time someone shares, they help make it possible for us to share new content with you. If you know someone who would love these kindness rocks inspiration, please share on Facebook, Instagram, or on Pinterest.